This year Germany observes the 450th anniversary of the death of Martin Luther (1483-1546). From Magdeburg in the north to Augsburg in the south, festive events are planned in 12 "Luther" cities and another 30 of the reformer's sites of activity are also preparing special programs.
Exhibitions and Special Events
Here are some highlights of the many exhibitions and special events scheduled:
- Augsburg City Hall, Reformation and the Free Imperial City," April 28-Aug. 8
- The Wartburg in Eisenach, The Man Martin Luther and His Associates, March 1-Oct. 31
- Nürnberg's Femohaus, Nürnberg and Protestantism, May-October
- The Lutherhalle at Wittenberg, Luther and the Swan—The Death and Transfiguration of a Great Man, February-December, and also at Lutherhalle, Luthers Wedding, June 7-9
- Eisleben celebrates its historic Old Town Festival June 14-16
- Erfurt presents organ concerts from April to October each Wednesday at 8 p.m. in the Prediger Church
- Wittenberg and Worms conduct city walking tours Along Luthers Trail.
The brochure Reisen auf den Spuren Luthers (Travel along Luthers Trail), available in English, can be obtained from the German National Tourist Board (DZT). It describes important events in Luther's life and contains an overview of places where he worked in Germany. There are also suggestions for individual tours. Addresses of appropriate local tourist offices are listed as a source of additional information.
Contact: German National Tourist Office, 11766 Wilshire Blvd #750, Los Angeles, CA 90025, phone 310-575-9799, fax 310-575-1565; German National Tourist Office, 122 E. 42nd Ave., 53rd Fl, New York, NY 10168, phone 212-66107200, fax 212-661-7174; or Deutsche Zentrale fur Tourismus, Beethovenstrasse 69, D-60325 Frankfurt am Main, phone 069-75720, fax 751903.
Luther Hotel Packages
The Maritim Hotel Astoria in Leipzig (Willy-Brandt-Platz 2, D-04109 Leipzig, phone 0341/1284811, fax 0341/1284749), for example, has a "Martin Luther Weekend" from 280 DM ($187) per person including room for two nights, breakfast, welcome cocktail, meal, city tour, motet in St. Thomas Church and a Martin Luther dinner.
Three- to five-day Luther packages can be booked in Magdeburg's Plaza Hotel (Halberstadter Strasse 146-150, D-39112 Magdeburg, phone 0391/60510, 0391/6051100). The weekend package, for example, costs from 149 DM ($99) per person and includes a room for two nights, breakfast, candlelight dinner, buffet and welcome drink.
Weimar's InterCity Hotel (phone 03643/2340, fax 03643/234444) offers a package for 246 DM ($164) per person that includes a room for two nights, breakfast, four-course meal and sight-seeing program.