Times Tabs Berlin Restaurants
Mark Bittman, writing recently in the New York Times, says Berlin is "following in the footsteps of New York and London, where imported cuisines are generally preferable to indigenous ones."
He opines that Berlin has "world-class restaurants, with beautiful surroundings and kitchens that would rate among the best anywhere."
Four very expensive restaurants recommended by Mr. Bittman include:
Portalis (French) Kronenstrasse 55-58, tel. +49/030/2045 5496, fax 2045 5498
VAU (Mediterranean) Jägerstraße 54-55, tel. +49/030/2029 730, fax 2029 7311
Zum Hugenotten (Asian fusion) Intercontinental Hotel, Budapesterstrasse 2, tel. +49/030/2602 1263, fax 2602 2600
First Floor (French) Palace, Hotel Budapesterstrasse 42, tel. +49/030/2502 1020, fax 2502 1161
Notes for Readers
- Foreign currency prices are converted to U.S. dollars at the exchange rate in effect at the time of publication.
- Hotel prices listed are for one night. Discounts are often available for longer stays.
- All hotel prices include breakfast unless otherwise noted.
- Local European telephone area codes carry the "0" required for in-country dialing. To phone establishments from outside the country, such as from the USA, do not dial the first "0".
Hotel & Restaurant Rating Key
Rating Scale Scale
- Excellent 16 - 20
- Above Average 12 - 15
- Average 8 - 11
- Adequate 4 - 7
- Unacceptable 0 - 3
Hotel Rating Criteria
- People/Service 30%
- Location/Setting 15%
- Guestrooms 30%
- Public rooms 5%
- Facilities/Restaurant 20%
- Food 65%
- Service 20%
- Atmosphere 15%
By virtue of location, decor, charm, warmth of management, or combination thereof, an especially pleasant establishment.
The Michelin database of hotels and restaurants plus great interactive trip planning tools.
Map and automobile trip planning. Locates routes and distances.
German rail. Train schedules throughout Europe, not just Germany.
Swiss and European rail schedules.
Top web resource for skiers with much data on Alpine resorts.
Website of Switzerland's national tourist authority.
Germany's national tourist authority.
Austria's national tourist authority.
- (U.S. Dollar prices quoted in this issue of Gemütlichkeit may be inaccurate for these reasons:
- Prices in local currency have not been updated since the date of publication of this newsletter, and...
- The dollar prices shown were obtained by using exchange rates in effect at the time of publication.)